Thursday, March 20, 2008

hiring an employee that will fit with your team

I ask all potential employees to fill out a Keirsey/Myers Briggs personality profile. As an ISFJ myself, I have found that I work better with some personality types compared to others. Also, I have noticed that my personality profile relates to certain strengths and weaknesses that I bring to the work place. Currently I have three ESFJs on staff and one ENFJ. We all get along great and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we are all Feeling and Judging types.

I was first introduced to David Keirsey's book Please Understand Me and his personality profiling by a dental practice consultant. At the time I had a mixture of staff that was not getting along and was making my life miserable. Since reading the book I have given much credence to the personality profiles of potential staff.

According to my practice consultant, a majority of female dental staff are ESFJs. An individual with this personality type is described as a people person, caregiver, warm, and energetic. These are all great traits for dental assistants that need to make people feel at ease in the dental chair, as well as be able to run around and manage the office for the doctor. My staff member that is an ENFJ is of a type that supposedly has the best people skills of any other personality type. I would agree with that analysis of her personality. In addition to her communication skills, she is also bright and highly organized.

I am an ISFJ which is described as "Quiet, kind, and conscientious. Can be depended on to follow through. Usually puts the needs of others above their own needs. Stable and practical, they value security and traditions. Well-developed sense of space and function. Rich inner world of observations about people. Extremely perceptive of other's feelings. Interested in serving others." I think my strengths in respect to my personality type are that I am a good listener regarding patient needs and am responsible and loyal to my staff. However, my weaknesses are that I avoid confrontation with staff and have difficulty telling patients they need to have work done.

So, if you want a people person, loyal, caring employee hire an ESFJ or ENFJ. And if want a dentist that will feel just as bad as you do that you need dental work, hire an ISFJ.




Kari Ann Hong, DDS
1000 Newbury Road, Suite 190
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320
http://www.dentist4smiles.com/

No comments: