Saturday, March 22, 2008

living with my parents

I am almost 30 years old, married, have a baby, and a profession and am living with my parents. My husband and I were living about 30 miles away from my office and our daycare (my parents) when our son was born last June. It became readily apparent that commuting with a baby was out of the question, so we decided to rent out our house and move in with my parents. Also, I wanted to take some time off from work and wouldn't be making a paycheck during that time. I hadn't lived with my parents since high school and I was skeptical how it was all going to work out.

It is now 10 months later and I couldn't be happier with my current living situation. The best thing about it is the built in child care. My son has two loving grandparents that are willing to watch him at any time. I think it really does take a village to raise a child. In a couple of months my husband and I will have the means to move out on our own, but we are contemplating waiting another year until our son is a little older.

Unfortunately in our society it is expected that once kids finish school they are expected to live on their own. According to a CBS article posted in October 2006, "Half of this year's graduates have moved back home and 44 percent of last year's graduates are still there, while 34 percent of 18- to 34-year-olds get cash from mom and dad — an average of $3,410 a year." So, perhaps my situation of living with my parents isn't totally odd. I feel so fortunate to have my parents support! My husband and I look at each other daily and wonder how we would manage without them. Personally, I don't know how I would continue to work without their constant love and babysitting assistance.

Kari Ann Hong, DDS
1000 Newbury Road, Suite 190
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320
www.dentist4smiles.com

No comments: