Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Community College

My dental assistant is taking classes at the local community college. She is working towards becoming a hygienist. It is the end of the semester and she had a performance for her tap class on Monday night.

I never had the pleasure of attending community college. I went straight from high school to UCLA. While at UCLA I was totally focused on the technical- math and science- classes. The only "fun" classes I took were Women's Studies and English literature. Also, I was so focused on my studies that I rarely carved time out for any exciting social experiences. I do regret not having more diversity in my undergraduate coursework!

It was so much fun watching the different classes (ballroom, jazz, ballet, impressionist) perform. Community college is a great way to get general education credits out of the way and to try out new things, all for minimal cost. I noticed there were some much older students in a couple of the classes...

Kari Ann Hong, DDS
1000 Newbury Road, Suite 190
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320
www.dentist4smiles.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Community College is definitely great for taking and exploring fun classes at an extremely affordable price. I attended a community college for 2 years, and most of my professors also taught at nearby universities.... so you really get your moneys worth!

They're also awesome for taking online courses too!

Coach Sheryl said...

Hi Kari,

So glad you've discovered community college. They do have so many classes to choose from. Have fun checking out the different opportunities.